The Next Step at Camp Broadway is a musical theater intensive designed to give experienced teen performers, ages 14 to 17, a taste of what Broadway life is all about: refining technique and performance, growing personally as artists, experiencing New York City, and making lifelong friends.
Set in the heart of Broadway, this 5-day intensive emphasizes both the collective experience of the ensemble, as well the discovery of your individual gifts and interests as an actor, singer, and dancer. Taught by true Broadway professionals in real Broadway venues and rehearsal spaces, The Next Step program culminates in a dazzling cabaret-style showcase!
Along your journey, you’ll discover ways to Develop Your Character. While finding your on-stage character – be it an ingenue, comedian or belting diva – you’ll cultivate the habits of discipline, interpersonal awareness, and collaboration you need for off-stage success as well.
Nervous about taking The Next Step? Don’t be! While some theater experience is required to participate in The Next Step, you do not need to be a previous Camp Broadway attendee or local theater star. Creating a safe, and supportive community is our highest priority – come as you are!
Why The Next Step at Camp Broadway?
Researching and selecting a summer theatre intensive is a massive undertaking, and we know that you have lots of choices available. But here’s what makes our Next Step program stand out from the crowd:
- You won’t just become a character – you’ll build character. More than any other program, at The Next Step, you’ll learn and practice the Camp BroadWAY of Life, including mindfulness, self-awareness, courage and respect. No matter what professional path you pursue, these are skills that endure, both on-stage and off.
- Our focus is on Ensemble Players, not Stardom. Collaboration is a key takeaway for our Next Steppers. Because all Next Steppers have prior experience, you’ll enjoy small group coaching, character study and advanced acting work appropriate to your level of skill and ability. At the same time, you’ll be allowed opportunities for self-discovery – for example choreographing your signature bow for the closing show.
- We only hire Broadway professionals who also have a passion for teaching and working with teens. Over the course of your 5-day intensive, you’ll be taught and inspired by our staff of Broadway directors, choreographers, and music directors, who will support you through an authentic Broadway rehearsal process. Each of our staff are hand-selected, not only for their impressive credentials, but for their knack for seeing and bringing out talent in others.
- You’ll gain new theatre-loving friends that feel like family. Next Steppers never leave the same as when they arrive. Staging a production with young thespians from across the country (and the world!), is enhanced by special Broadway traditions and the exceptional camaraderie that can only be built by sharing a stage. It’s these memories and connections that keep our Next Steppers in touch throughout the year and back for more every summer.
But you’ll also leave a piece of yourself behind. Part of what makes Broadway so beautiful is its dedication to honoring the past while reveling in the present. You’ll leave your mark through our our Next Step trunk sticker and signing in a ceremony that celebrates your contribution to the Broadway world.
What Can You Expect from The Next Step?
The Next Step package includes 5 days (40 hours!) of instruction and activities including:
- Musical theater-focused intensives in singing, acting, and dancing taught by credentialed Broadway professionals
- Master classes with Broadway artists
- Q&A sessions with industry professionals
- Rehearsal day at an authentic NYC performance space
- A ticket to a Broadway show – a Next Stepper favorite!
- Exclusive post-show Q&A session with the cast
- Camp Broadway swag – including our official t-shirt, labeled bag and pencil
- A collectible Next Step program patch
- Your professional ‘Cast of Characters’ headshot
- Healthy lunches, snacks and water – because you’ve got to feed the talent!
Next Steppers and their families also receive:
- Access to our ‘Call Board’ – with exclusive sneak peeks and all the need-to-know details to get you ready for Broadway!
- A Welcome Booklet to enhance your on-site experience
- End-of-day info to prepare for the next day’s activities
- A keepsake playbill from your Next Step Finale performance
- Complimentary admission for families to The Next Step Showcase
STARTING JANUARY 1, 2019
Thanks to the support from many of Camp Broadway’s grateful parents and generous friends, the Broadway Education Alliance, a New York based 501.c3, has established Marya’s Gift, to provide financial assistance to deserving children, ages 7-13, who do not otherwise have the means to attend Camp Broadway. Learn more.
WHY PARENTS CHOOSE CAMP BROADWAY
Grace attended The Next Step at Camp Broadway. She thoroughly enjoyed her experience. The instructors were knowledgeable and inspiring. She really enjoyed learning about the many varied topics and the exposure to classic Broadway. She is already talking about next time and cannot wait. Thank you Camp Broadway!
My 15 year old went to Next Step 2017 and she came away saying, “my dream is possible and not so far away! It was like looking into a movie when I saw people trying out for Dirty Dancing in the same building we were in. We worked with actors/directors from Anastasia, Cats, School of Rock, Chicago. I would do it again!”
My daughter has attended Camp Broadway the last three years, and this year she participated in the new program The Next Step. Both programs have been incredible. I am so grateful that my daughter has been able to be a part of such a wonderful program. The staff is amazing, very organized and professional. Couldn’t ask for a better experience for my daughter. Thank you!!!!